Our time in the jungle at Kuala Tahan is the first of two places on this holiday where we expect close encounters with creatures of one type or another, but actually we got off rather lightly with just a lizard, one large spider, a few small beetles and one big cicada entering our room at the lodge.
So if you’re thinking of heading this way, here are our top ten tips for coping with creepy crawlies.
1. Unless you know otherwise for certain, assume it’s poisonous
2. Always check your shoes before you put them on.
3. Never leave your bags open.
4. If you get a lizard in your room, don’t scare him off. He’s not dangerous, he won’t come near you, and he’ll kill some bugs for you.
5. Don’t leave clothes on the floor
6. When you get a bug, don’t stamp on it. It’s dead body will attract flies and ants, neither of which you want.
7. Don’t leave food in your room, not even in the bin.
8. When looking up at a creature, keep your mouth closed. Like the girl at Batu caves said, nobody wants fresh bat shit for tea.
9. Put the toilet lid down and cover drain holes.
10. Get over yourself, don’t be a wuss and accept that it’s going to happen. If you can’t do that, then it’s best you don’t come to places like this!